An embarrassing account of mistakes
leading up to a horrifically failed interview, and what you can learn from it.
When you have an interview, no matter how big, you can never
over prepare. Don't learn this lesson the
hard way - and if you're reading this, you won't!
My first interview with a Chicago tech startup lasted two minutes. Here's why:
no last-minute research (internet outage ≠ legit excuse), arrived under dressed and nearly late, and failed to answer the first
question.
1. You are not early.
Show up 10-15 minutes
early.
I arrived outside the building with four minutes to spare...then had to call the interviewer to locate the door!
What I should have done – When my internet was down I should have went to a coffee shop to bum wireless and estimate travel time. Even
without the last-min research, I could have made a good impression arriving early.
Still not sure about travel time? Leave with 30 minutes of extra
time (on top of what Google says for travel). If you arrive 45 minutes
early, the interviewer probably won’t care. And if you’re self-conscious, jam out to your favorite playlist outside and get
pumped!
2. You are not dressed up.
Wear attire that is one degree more formal than the employer's attire. If unsure, always round up.
I wore dress shorts and a polo because I thought the attire was jeans and tees...then saw that the interviewer was wearing a
suit!
What I should have done – When I saw that I was under dressed, I should have immediately acknowledged the mistake.
The interviewer would likely respect a statement like: “I am terribly sorry for my lack of
professional attire. I was under the
impression that the dress code in the office was casual, but I see that I was wrong.”
I pretended that it was fine even when the interviewer appeared immediately frustrated with my presence.
I knew the dress code would be
slightly more formal - I even set out a shirt and tie! But it was warm and a 20 minute
walk, so I opted for the lighter attire.
I would have been more comfortable in the shirt and tie had I showed up
dripping with sweat! It would have shown an honest effort.
3. You don't know exactly what the position entails.
Research EXACTLY what skills and experience the employer is seeking. If you can dig so deep that you know where they take lunch break, it will be obvious you did
your homework.
The first question I received - "Do you have accounting experience?" ...I didn't! :/
What I should have done – Known that the position entailed accounting! Though I didn’t have official experience,
I should have tailored my resume to bring out accounting skills gained
through other positions. For example, I
had worked with excel in physics and biology lab. Had I researched prior to the interview,
I should have said "yes, I do have accounting experience! Not in the traditional sense, but it was equally, if not more, complex."
4. You didn't research the business itself.
Research the company as if you are going to invest. In a sense, you are!
I barely understood the service the business provided – how could I explain that I was a good fit?
What I should have done – Researched like it was my day job. Explore every corner of the company website, creep the CEO and
CFO’s Linkedin profiles, the secretaries’ Facebooks, the intern’s blog! Read about them in the news (Google has a
news filter for searches), check out their Twitter page. Find one of their customers and ask for thoughts
on the company, email an employee with questions. Had I done my homework,
I wouldn’t have strolled in like a jackass wearing red shorts and boat shoes.
Personal note: It was
rough being told straight out “you are wasting my time”. I even cried on my walk home! (Which I now realize was ridiculous - it was just an entry-level interview.) But I did waste
both the interviewer’s time and my own. I was evidently not interested in the position and I should have called the office to say “thank you for the opportunity to interview, but I have decided that the
position is not a good fit for me at this time.” But I’m learning. And by reading this, so are you!
If you enjoyed the post, please share it with others. Your support is always appreciated - the more you help, the more I can write!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Share your experience! :)